Hire a Realtor – Studies show that homesellers who use Realtors to represent them generally get a better price than those who sell the home themselves. Realtors are up-to-date on critical processes and can help keep you out of trouble. They can also help you get your home sold at the best price in the right timeframe.
Before Your Home Is Listed
It’s important to have your home in good showing condition before potential buyers start going through it. Here are some steps to take:
- Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
- Install new carpeting or flooring if it appears worn or dated.
- Make sure that the front of your home is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favorable first impression.
- Trim bushes and plants as needed, and make sure that the yard is kept mowed and trimmed.
- Keep the interior clean, decluttered, and odor-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
- Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home.
- Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage. Now is the time to clean out the garage and sell, give away, or throw away items that you don’t need any more.
- Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed. Buyers will be hiring professional inspectors; here’s your chance to address problems in advance.
- Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal.
During The Listing Period
- When potential buyers visit your home, either be absent or make yourselves as inconspicuous as possible.
- Have fresh flowers in the entry way. It makes for a fresh introduction into your home.
- If offers are made that don’t match your anticipated price, don’t reject them off-hand. Pay attention to your agent’s advice.
- Don’t get discouraged if your home doesn’t sell right away. Your HB Realty agent will market your home, find a buyer, and negotiate the best price for you.