Everything you need to know about owning or renting a home, including expert advice on painting your living room, renovating a historic home, getting mortgage, and so much more.
Embarking on a home renovation project is no easy feat, but thanks to today’s advances in internet technology, there is probably a stellar app out there ready to assist with every part of the process.
Below, we rounded up 15 standouts across three categories—plan, design, and expert help—available on iOS and/or Android, many of which are free to download.
1. Home Design 3D: For drawing rooms, testing out furniture all in one app (some features like saving designs and 3D-viewing require upgrades.)
2. Roomscan Pro: For creating floor plans just by touching your phone to each wall.
$4.99 on iOS
3. MagicPlan: For creating floor plans from photos of a room.
4. Photo Measures: For saving measurements directly on your own photos.
5. Handymobi: For organizing home improvement projects, browsing and sharing DIY project ideas; a free toolbox includes a unit converter, level tool, and calculator.
6. Tap Painter: For visualizing paint colors (from major brands like Benjamin Moore, Behr, Sherwin Williams, and more) on interior spaces.
$2.99 on iOS
7. Houzz Interior Design Ideas: For access to over 10 million high-resolution photos of design ideas, plus new features like “View in My Room 3D” (virtually try out over 1.8 million products in your own home) and “Sketch” (add products, notes, and collaborators to photos on Houzz.)
8. Pinterest: For discovering and organizing design and decor ideas (including those found on Curbed!)
9. Chairish: For buying and selling pre-loved home decor, vintage furniture, art, and more; a “preview” feature lets you see items in your space.
Free on iOS
10. Zillow Digs: For even more interior design ideas and project estimates.
Free on iOS
11. Hutch: For virtually trying out curated decor styles in your space just by taking a photo.
12. HomeAdvisor: For discovering and comparing contractors and instant bookings.
13. Smith: Home Remodel, Improvement & Repairs: For getting multiple bids from pre-screened contractors within 24 hours.
14. Thumbtack: For recommendations on contractors for all sorts of home-related jobs.
15. Havenly: For working with a professional interior designer on your project; chat with a designer for free or book a custom project starting at $79.
Free on iOS